Family Finder projects
From ISOGG Wiki
(Redirected from Family Finder project)
A Family Finder project collects autosomal Family Finder DNA results from Family Tree DNA customers for a specific country or region (a geographical DNA project) or for the descendants of a specified ancestor or ancestral couple. FTDNA recommend that "the number of generations from the current generation — those who will be tested — to the generation of the focus couple should be between four and seven". Some Family Finder projects are run in conjunction with pre-existing surname or geographical DNA projects.
Family Finder projects
As of July 2010 there were around 20 dedicated Family Finder projects at Family Tree DNA. The following projects have public websites:
- Anabaptist Family Finder Project, a project using autosomal DNA results from Family Finder to investigate ancestors who were members of Anabaptist groups such as the Amish, Mennonite, River Brethren, and Hutterites. Participants from specific other groups and reference groups such as Swiss and Volga Germans will also be present. The project is separate from the existing Mennonite and Swiss Anabaptist projects to allow those projects to concentrate on group-specific surnames/lineages. The Anabaptist Family Finder Project is open to anyone who knows or suspects that they have Anabaptist ancestors.
- Balogh/Telegdi/Piszker/Mandel Family Project, to found our Family members.
- Hatteras Island Family Finder Project, a project for people who descend from ancestors who lived on Hatteras or Okracoke islands in what is now Dare County, North Carolina.
- Kymer Cousins DNA Project, a DNA testing project for the Cambodian Community worldwide. The project is divided into three groups: Children Adopted from Cambodia; Khmers living in the USA 40 years old and older; Khmer's living in Cambodia 40 years old and older.
- Lost Colony Family Finder Project, a project for anyone who has taken a Family Finder test and believes they are descended from one of the Lost Colonists of Roanoke (Roanoke Island in Dare County in present-day North Carolina)
- Maine Irish Heritage Center, the Maine Gaeltacht DNA Project A Family Finder geographic-focused project that welcomes people with Irish roots or kin ties in Maine, US and, also, can trace their ancestry to County Galway, Ireland. This DNA project is sponsored by the Maine Irish Heritage Center in Portland, Maine, USA and is in partnership with the Diaspora and Emigrants Commemorative Centre in Carna, County Galway, Ireland. A 3-5 generation pedigree chart demonstrating a direct link to Ireland is requested.
- New Haven Family Finder Project, a project for anyone with ancestry from one of the founders of the New Haven Colony in present-day Connecticut.
- Newfoundland and Labrador Family Finder Project, a project for anyone who has ancestry from the Canadian province of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Normanites Project. This project is open to all who are connected by their common relationship to the saga of the Reverend Norman McLeod and his epic journey from Sutherlandshire in the Scottish Highlands, to Nova Scotia, Canada, and ultimately Waipu, Northland, New Zealand.
- Rehoboth Massachusetts ancestors, a Family Finder project for anyone who has an ancestor who lived in Rehoboth, Massachusetts, prior to 1750. Most Rehoboth families intermarried heavily so the idea behind this project is to share genealogy information about Early Rehoboth Families and see what residual DNA connections there may be.
- Settlers of the 13 American Colonies Project A project for those whose ancestors are known or presumed to have been early settlers of the 13 American Colonies. Settlers/natives prior to the 13 American Colonies are also welcome to share their results here.
- Leon Kull's HIR Search project A project to find HIRs (half-identical regions) using participants' raw data from 23andMe, deCODE genetics and FTDNA's Family Finder. HIR Search compares your genome data against another person's genome to find areas where half or more base pairs match. These regions are markers of common ancestry. To participate email your raw data file to .
The project administrator(s) of the following Y-DNA and mtDNA geographical DNA projects are collecting Family Finder results from anyone with ancestry from the relevant country or region:
- Alpine DNA Project
- Bahamas DNA Project
- Devon DNA project
- Laurens County, South Carolina
- Maine Irish Heritage Center's "Maine Gaeltacht" DNA project for people with Irish ancestry from Maine US and County Galway, Ireland
- Portugal DNA project
- Scotland DNA project
The project administrators of the following project which combines features of geographical and haplogroup projects are collecting Family Finder results from anyone with a ccgg, gccg, or similar 2c2g result on the DYS464X test and from anyone with a close match to a person with a ccgg, gccg, or similar 2c2g result. Anyone interested in learning more about this project is encouraged to visit the project website and contact the administrators.
Australian Settlers who have taken the Family Finder DNA test via FTDNA are welcome to join this project.
Descendants of convicts transported to Australia (whether currently resident there or elsewhere) and who have taken the Family Finder DNA test via FTDNA are welcome to join this project.
New Zealand settlers who have taken the Family Finder DNA test via FTDNA are welcome to join this project. (Even if you have since moved to say, Australia or elsewhere), you are still welcome to join because of your heritage and possibly the cousins you will have left behind...).
The project administrator(s) of the following surname projects are collecting Family Finder results from anyone who has the relevant surname in their direct ancestral line on any part of their family tree:
- Adamthwaite DNA project
- Bartlett DNA project
- Bolt DNA project
- Brodie DNA Project
- Brooker DNA Project
- Brownell DNA Project
- Callingham DNA Project
- Calhoun/Calquhoun DNA Project
- Cruwys/Cruse DNA project
- Fleming DNA Project
- Fraser Project
- Fuller DNA project
- Gladstone DNA Project
- Kasbohm DNA project
- Kirkpatrick DNA Project
- Lovett DNA Project
- MacCallum/ Malcolm DNA project
- McElrea DNA project
- Neal DNA Project
- Proctor DNA Project
- Riddell/Riddle DNA Project
- Ruddenklau DNA Project
- Rutherfurd DNA Project
- Scott DNA Project
- Simmons DNA Project
- Slater DNA Project
- Talley/Tally DNA project
- Watson DNA Project
- Webster DNA Project
- Wilkinson DNA Project
- Vick DNA project
- von Bieker DNA Project
The above list is by no means complete, and if you have Family Finder results to share contact the relevant project administrator.