Genealogical society projects
From ISOGG Wiki
A genealogical society project is a project set up by a genealogical society in affiliation with a DNA testing company. To date all such projects are affiliated with Family Tree DNA. The society has a project page on the FTDNA website. Society members can order kits through the project and the society receives a small commission on the sale, though no fee is received for Family Finder tests.
Genealogical society projects can be particularly useful for females who wish to order a DNA test, and for males for whom no surname project currently exists. By ordering through the society they receive help from an experienced project administrator who can help them with their results and encourage them to join other relevant projects as necessary. Some people who have tested with society projects have gone on to become administrators of their own projects.
The scheme also benefits the society who make a small income from the sales, and helps to promote interest in genetic genealogy within the society.
Genealogical Society DNA Projects
Britain and Ireland
- The FIBIS (Families in British India Society) DNA Project (FTDNA). A project for anyone with ancestors in British India. Established November 2011. Administrators: Valmay Young and Sarah Bilton.
- The North of Ireland Family History Society DNA Project (FTDNA)
- Genealogical Forum of Oregon (GFO) DNA Project (FTDNA) established Nov 2005 Administrator: Emily Aulicino To order a test Click on the FTDNA icon.
- Idaho Genealogical Society (ISG) DNA Project (FTDNA) established 2008 Administrator: Emily Aulicino To order a test Click on the FTDNA icon.
- Willamette Valley Genealogical Society (WVGS) DNA Project (FTDNA) established May 2006 Administrator: Emily Aulicino To order a test Click on GENEALOGY RESEARCH on the left, Click on WVGS DNA Project, Click on FTDNA icon in the middle of the page and complete the form you find after that.
- Santa Barbara County Genealogcial Society DNA Project (FTDNA)
- Southern California Genealogical Society DNA Project (FTDNA) Administrators: Alice Fairhurst, Doug Miller, Kathy Johnston, Bonny Cook
- South King County Genealogical Society DNA Administrator: Glenn Gilbert