From ISOGG Wiki
AncestrybyDNA is an online DNA testing service which performs tests to determine an individual's biogeographical ancestry. These tests are used for deep ancestry purposes only and are not suitable for genetic genealogy. The AncestrybyDNA trademark is owned by the US-based paternity testing company DNA Diagnostics Center.
AncestrybyDNA's autosomal DNA test examines 176 (autosomal SNPs) which are selected to be Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs). The company also offers a Y chromosome DNA test (17 markers from YFiler)and a mitochondrial DNA test (coverage not known). These tests are sufficient to provide a haplogroup assignment but may be inadequate for genealogical matching purposes.
The AncestrybyDNA test is also sold by some paternity testing companies.
Despite the similarity of the name, AncestrybyDNA has no connection with Ancestry.com's newer autosomal product AncestryDNA.
The originator of the AncestrybyDNA test in 2002 was DNAPrint Genomics, now defunct. DNA Diagnostics Center acquired rights to the name, testing procedures, and report generation from DNAPrint in 2009.
- What happened to AncestrybyDNA? by Margaret O'Brian, Data Mining DNA, 30 December 2020.
- Ancestry.com files a trademark case against DNA Diagnostics Center for the marketing of "AncestryByDNA" by CeCe Moore, Your Genetic Genealogist, 18 November 2015.
- LivingSocial's AncestrybyDNA Offer is NOT the AncestryDNA Test! by CeCe Moore, 18 September 2012
- AncestrybyDNA is NOT Ancestry.com's DNA Service by Dave Dowell, 22 January 2013
- Reviews of AncestrybyDNA tests on the Yelp website
- Better Business Centre page for DNA Diagnostics Center, the parent company of AncestrybyDNA
- If you are going to "debunk" race with gene testing, please stop by John Hawks, John Hawks' weblog, 1 August 2005.
- AncestrybyDNA official website
- DNA Diagnostics Center USA
- DNA Diagnostics Centre UK
- Charles Kerchner's log of AncestrybyDNA/DNAPrint results
Thanks to Ann Turner for providing information on the history of the AncestrybyDNA test.
- Y-DNA SNP testing chart
- Y-DNA STR testing chart
- mtDNA testing comparison chart
- Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart
- DNA Diagnostics Center announces the release of AncestrybyDNA, a unique DNA test that reveals a person's ancestral origins. PRWeb, 13 November 2009. Accessed 2 February 2013.