DNA testing for the donor conceived
From ISOGG Wiki
This page provides information and resources on DNA testing for the donor conceived. The search techniques used by the donor conceived are genereally the same as those used by adoptees. For details of the methodology see the article on utilizing DNA testing to break through adoption roadblocks.
Websites and resources
- Donor Children
- Donor Sibling Registry
- We Are Donor Conceived. A resource center for donor conceived people around the globe where they can "share their stories with each other and the general public in order to inspire greater understanding about the unique challenges" they face.
- AmFor Donor Offspring Registry
- Donor Conceived Project at Family Tree DNA
- International Donor Offspring Alliance
- Donor Offspring Europe
- Searching for My Sperm Donor Father
- Are You Donor Conceived?
- Australian Donor Conception Network
- Victorian Assisted Reproduction Authority
- Anonymous gamete donation to be banned in Ireland by Grace O'Regan, BioNews, 16 July 2018
ISOGG Wiki articles for donor-conceived people from the UK:
- The legal situation for the donor conceived in the UK
- Fertility clinics in the UK
- Getting ready to search
- Getting ready for contact
- Support and information for donor-conceived people
- Confessions of a Cryokid
- Fathers Anonymous
- Lippert's Children - Was Your Child Fathered by Thomas Lippert?
- Olivia's view - A blog from one of the co-founders of the Donor Conception Network
- Lost girls. 23andMe blog, 19 March 2014. The stories of 23andMe customers who have found family through DNA testing.
- How I found and lost my donor Undated article by Rose on the Victoria Assisted Reproduction Treatment Authority (VARTA) website.
- 'Hero' Wellington scientist helps find dad who made 800 sperm donations. The Dominion Post, 2 June 2015.
- Elizabeth Howard: A daughter’s detective story for Father’s Day. The Conservative Woman, 19 June 2016.
- Australian Donor Conceived People
- DNA for the Donor Conceived (DNA Detectives)
- Donor Children Australia
- Donor Conceived Offspring, Siblings and Parents Facebook group
- Worldwide Donor Conceived People Network (an exclusive group restricted to donor children)
- Australian Donor Conceived People Network
- DNA Detectives (for help with interpretation of DNA results)
- Search Squad (for help with the genealogy)
- Aussie and UK Angels
- Donor Offspring Registry
- We are Donor Conceived
- Persons Conceived Via Artificial Insemination Yahoo! email group for the donor conceived
- Sonia Allen. Donor Conception and the Search for Information: From Secrecy and Anonymity to Openness, Routledge, 2018. Includes a detailed overview of regulatory approaches around the world.
- Karen Bali. Researching Adoption: An Essential Guide to Tracing Birth Relatives and Ancestors. Family History Partnership, 2015.
- Richard Hill. Finding Family: My Search for Roots and the Secrets in My DNA. Createspace, 2012.
Videos and tutorials
- The Donor Detectives
- Generation Cryo (US only)
- AncestryDNA: More tips for identifying biological family by Crista Cowan, AncestryDNA, 19 January 2016
- The search for biological family AncestryDNA, 19 June 2014.
- Personal genetic testing and the implications for the donor conception community by Debbie Kennett, BioNews, 26 February 2018.
- A brief history of donor conception by Wendy Kramer, HuffPost blog, 10 May 2017.
- DNA = Donors Not Anonymous by Wendy Kramer, Huffington Post, 25 November 2015
- A collection of articles from The Guardian on sperm donation
- Donor conceived or pre-conception adopted
- Anonymous Us A website where those who have been affected by third party reproduction can share their experiences.
- Relatively speaking - a tale of DNA testing A personal story from a woman who learnt of her donor origins after testing at 23andMe.
- I took the 23andMe test and it changed everything I thought I knew about myself and my family Gin and Sin blog, 9 August 2017. A personal account in six parts from a woman who learnt about her donor origins after taking a 23andMe test.
- The overlooked fatherless: one donor-conceived woman's story by Alana Newman, Institute for Family Studies, 26 October 2016.
- Pacey M (2018). No more secrets in the genomic age. Human Fertility 21 (8).
- Crawshaw M (2017). Direct-to-consumer DNA testing: the fallout for individuals and their families unexpectedly learning of their donor conception origins. Human Fertility 7, Published online: 11 Jul 2017.
- Harper J, Kennett D, Reisel D (2016). The end of donor anonymity. Human Reproduction 31 (6): 1135-1140.
- Sabatelllo M (2015). Regulating Gamete Donation in the U.S.: Ethical, Legal and Social Implications. Laws 4(3), 352-376.
- Donor conception and adoption. A special issue of the Australian Journal of Adoption (2013; 7(2) published in memory of Narelle Grech (1982 - 2013).