Dickey Surname Project
From ISOGG Wiki
|Dickey Surname Project Website|
|Additional Project Information|
|DNA type(s) used||Y-DNA & autosomal DNA|
June 2006 |
Reestablished Mar 2022
|Surname variations||Dickey, Dickie, Dick and variants|
|Notes||Image by TomHutchison CC BY-NC-SA 3.0|
The project is hosted by FamilyTreeDNA and welcomes all variant spellings of the surname.
The project is free of charge and managed by an experienced volunteer administrator.
The Dickey Surname Project was founded in June of 2006 and reestablished on 28 March 2022 by Lucy Nelson. The project uses Y-DNA to identify men who share a patrilineal ancestor as Y-DNA passes virtually unchanged from father to son throughout the generations. Our Dickey Y-DNA testers report ancestry from Ireland, Scotland, England, and Germany. If you are a Dickey descendant with an interest in combining DNA evidence with traditional genealogy, please test at FamilyTreeDNA and join our surname project! The requirements for joining are listed below.
- Assist members with understanding their DNA results
- Group and analyze Y-SNP and Y-STR results
- Investigate surname origins and migration paths
- Identify common ancestors and paternal lineages
Free Test Offer
The project is offering a FREE Y-DNA test to a direct male surname descendant of George Dickey b. 1776 North Carolina d. 1842 Georgia who married Hannah Taylor. Please contact the project administrator if you qualify.
Requirements for Joining
Dickey descendants must have Y-DNA and/or Family Finder test results at FamilyTreeDNA in order to join the surname project:
- Female descendants should ask a male relative who carries the Dickey surname to take a Y-DNA test.
How to Join
To join the Dickey Surname Project, click the link below, and hit the JOIN button. You'll be asked to sign in to your FamilyTreeDNA account, then request to join. It's easy and only takes a minute. You'll receive our official welcome email with additional information shortly after joining.
- Please contact the project administrator if you don't have Y-DNA results and need assistance ordering a
Y-DNA test from FamilyTreeDNA. You may join with Family Finder results while your Y-DNA test is pending.
- Y-DNA matches to Dickey men must be at Y-37 or higher.
- Only Y-DNA results will be grouped on the project's DNA Results page.
- Encouraged but not required.
- Viewing autosomal DNA matches is free for transfers.