Geographical DNA projects
From ISOGG Wiki
Geographical DNA projects collect and collate DNA results from a specific country or region. The entry requirements for membership of a geographical project will vary from project to project. For some projects it will be necessary to provide a pedigree to prove your origin in the specific country or region. In some cases it is necessary to have a specific surname associated with the region in question. Other projects will adopt a more flexible approach and will permit entry to anyone with a family tradition of origin or heritage from the country or region.
There are four main types of geographical project:
- Y-DNA geographical projects collect Y chromosome DNA (Y-DNA) results
- mtDNA geographical projects collect mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) results
- Dual geographical projects collect both Y-DNA and mtDNA results. Many dual projects also collect autosomal Family Finder DNA results
- Family Finder projects collect autosomal Family Finder DNA results for a specific region or country
The vast majority of large geographical projects are hosted at Family Tree DNA.
Geographical projects can provide a useful entrée to the world of DNA testing for men whose surname is not yet represented in a surname DNA project. A Y-DNA test can be ordered through a geographical project in order to benefit from the discounted project pricing. Both men and women who have taken a mtDNA test can submit their results to the relevant geographical project and have the opportunity to compare their results with other people from the same region. By joining a geographical project the participant will often benefit from the advice of an experienced project administrator. For instructions and screenshots of the FTDNA Join Project process see How to join an FTDNA project.
- 1 African geographical projects
- 2 Australasian DNA projects
- 3 Asian geographical projects
- 4 Eurasian geographical projects
- 5 European geographical projects
- 6 Middle Eastern DNA Projects
- 7 North American DNA Projects
- 8 South American DNA Projects
- 9 Other project lists
- 10 See also
African geographical projects
- African DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Ana Oquendo Pabón
- African-American Roots Project A non-profit, collaborative effort of Dr. Bruce Jackson of the University of Massachusetts Lowell and Dr. Bert Ely of the University of South Carolina Department of Biological Sciences to reunite African-Americans with their ancestral roots in Africa
- Algeria DNA Project established Nov 2007 Administrators: Kiersten Chace, Dr. Ana Oquendo Pabón and Alice Fairhurst
- Cape Verde DNA Project Administrators: Katherine Borges and Jose dos Anjos
- Chad Tribes DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrator: Aboubakar Idriss
- Morocco DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal DNA) Administrator: El Hassouni
- South Africa Cape Coloured DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA)
- South African mtDNA Project
- Tunisia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
Australasian DNA projects
- Aboriginal Tribes Australia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: George Helon
- Australian adoption project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) A project for individuals who have known ancestry in Australia and New Zealand going back to pre-Federation times, that is 1900 and prior. Administrator: Nellie Hymen.
- Australian Citizens Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Gail Riddell. Co-administrator: Louise Coakley. A project is for Australians and their families whether living currently in Australia or elsewhere.
- Australia Convicts Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Gail Riddell. A project for those who have convicts in their family ancestral records.
- Australian Settlers Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Gail Riddell. A project for those who know when and where their ancestors arrived (unless your test is only for Family Finder in which case no information is necessary).
- Kimberley Nyikina Mangala DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) A project for the indigenous groups in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. Administrator: Gregory Kiely
- Early Settlers in Oceania Project A project for individuals who have known ancestry in Australia and New Zealand going back to pre-Federation times, that is 1900 and prior. Administrator: Nellie Hymen.
- New Zealand DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Gail Riddell A project for those who know where their direct maternal/paternal ancestors (depending on the test taken) 'landed' when they went to New Zealand
- New Zealand Genetic Families Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Gail Riddell. Co-administrator: Wendy Reeve. This project is for New Zealanders and their families whether living currently in New Zealand or elsewhere.
- The Normanite Project Administrator: Barbara Rae-Venter. A project for the descendants of the followers of the fiery preacher Norman McLeod. McLeod and his followers left the Scottish Highlands in 1817 for Nova Scotia. After 35 years in St Anns, Nova Scotia, McLeod and his 800 followers migrated to Waipu, New Zealand.
- Paramatta Sydney Australia Project Administrator: James Denning
- South Australia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Richard Merry, Gail Edwards and Robert Blair.
- Tasmania DNA Project Administrator: James Barrett
Asian geographical projects
- Afghan/Pakistani DNA Project Administrators: Muhammad Khan, Arif Akhundzada
- China DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Ivan Shim, Dawn Land
- Families in British India Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) A project for anyone with ancestors in British India and for FIBIS members Administrators: Bennett Greenspan, Sarah Bilton, Valmay Young
- India regional DNA Project (includes Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan) (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Cyndi Rutledge
- Deccan India Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) A project to study the diversity of population that originate in the Deccan Plateau of India, and adjacent Islands.
- Kerala, India DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Mughals DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Mohammed Binghalib
- Syrian Christians of India DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Japan DNA Project (Y-DNA)
- Yamaguchi, Japan DNA Project Administrator: Bob Cooney
- Khmer Cousins DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder), a project for the Cambodian community worldwide.
- Malagasy Roots DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) A project for people with ancestry from Madagascar. Administrators: CeCe Moore, Teresa Vega
- Mongolian DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Zhaxylyk Sabitov and Kherlen B.B
- Philippines DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Rex Paqueo
- South East Asian DNA Project Covers: Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, SE Asia, Singapore, Thailand, Timor, Vietnam. Administrator: Cyndi Rutledge
- Shejire DNA Project, Kazakhstan
- Sri Lanka DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrators: John Skillman, Chandika Wijesundara
Eurasian geographical projects
- Alash-Kazakhstan DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Armenia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Hovann Simonia, Mark Arslan and Peter Hrechdakian
- Azerbaijani DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Caucasus DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Chuvashia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Chechen-Noahcho DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Cossack DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Angel Cervantes
- Dagestan DNA Project Administrator: Pakhrudin Arsanov
- Georgian DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Golden Horde DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) For Alshins, Argyns, Kipshaks, Mangynts, Naymans and Tabyns
- Ingush DNA Project Administrators: Pakhrudin Arsanov and Ahmad Didigov. The Ingush are Caucasian native ethnic group of the North Caucasus, mostly inhabiting the Russian republic of Ingushetia.
- North Dvina Project A dual Y-DNA/mtDNA project created for individuals who have their genealogical roots in the North Dvina river basin or other areas of the Archangel region in Russia. Administrators: V Bedanov, S Kirev and V Vizard
- Russia DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA) Established 2007 Administrator: Denis Grigoriev
- Molecular Genealogy (in Russian) Established in 2007 by Denis Grigoriev in Russia
- Carpatho-Rusyn DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Russian Empire DNA project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Russian Nobility Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Russia-Slavic DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- White Sea Karelian families DNA Project (Viena, Russia) (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Sari Heimonen, Jaako Hakkinen and Denis Kuzmin
- Turkic World DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Turkey DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
European geographical projects
- Albanian DNA Project Administrator: Tyson Smith]
- Alpine DNA Project - AlpGen Genealogy (Alps: Y-DNA, mtDNA and atDNA) Established 2012, Admin: Chris Rottensteiner
- Ashina/A-Shih-Na/Asena Royal Dynasty (mtDNA & Y-DNA) established Sep 2007 Administrator: Alfred Krupa
- Azores DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Katherine Borges, Cheri Mello and Richard Pimente
- Balkans DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators Atanas Kumbarov, Erhan Inal, Łukasz Łapiński and Mira Peacock
- Baltic Sea Y-DNA Project Administrator: Stanislaw Plewako
- Banat DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) The Banat DNA Project welcomes the descendants of the settlers that migrated eastward, primarily in the 1700s, from various former German States and settled lands in the Danube Basin of south-central Europe. These settlers, later referred to as Danube Swabians (or "Donauschwaben" in German), lived in communities which are located today in Hungary, Romania, and countries of the former Federation of Yugoslavia. Administrator: Scott Aaron
- Basque DNA Project
- Benelux Y-DNA Project Administrator: Jules Van Laar
- Benelux mtDNA Project (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg) Administrator: Jules Van Laar
- Belarus DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Eugene Matyushonok
- Belarusian Nobility (Y-DNA)
- Belgium Walloon DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- The Brabant DNA Project (Y-DNA) The project was launched in 2009 to analyse the Y-DNA composition of the old Duchy of Brabant (modern Brussels and the provinces of Walloon and Flemish Brabant, Antwerp and the Dutch province of North Brabant). It was later expanded to cover the other provinces of Flanders, then Wallonia and the whole of Belgium. The project is subsidised by the Belgian government. Project Manager: Marc van den Cloot. Assistant Project Manager: Marc Gabriels.
- British Isles Debbie Kennett's list of DNA projects for the British Isles
- People of the British Isles Project
- Bulgarian DNA Project Administrator: Mira Sydney
- Canary Islands Guanches DNA Project The Guanches are the mysterious natives of the Canary Islands who are believed to be descended from the Berbers of Morocco. Administrator: Angel Cervantes
- Carpatho-Rusyn DNA Project Administrator: Robert Malay Co-administrators: Gloria Elston, Katherine Ogilvie
- Catalunya/Catalonia DNA project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Joseph Falguera and Jordi Torruella
- Channel Islands DNA Project Administrator: Tom Kryssbe
- Czech DNA Project Administrators: Leo Baca and Joni Hudson
- Danish Demes Administrator: Diana Gale Matthiesen
- Denmark DNA Project Administrator: Cyndi Rutledge, Håkon Styri
- English counties and regions:
- Cornwall DNA Project (Y-DNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Joe Flood
- Cornwall Y-DNA Advance Project (Y-DNA only) Administrator: Joe Flood. The project is restricted to people who have ordered SNP testing.
- Devon DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Established March 2009 Administrator: Debbie Kennett
- East Anglia DNA Project Administrator: Stephen Arbon
- Oxfordshire DNA Project Administrators: Sue Honore and Richard Merry.
- Estonia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Mark Fursov, Roland Gruft and Artur Martyka
- Finland DNA Project Administrator: Lauri Koskinen Co-administrator: Marja Pirttivaara
- Forrest Finn DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Jan Myhrvold and Trond Bækkevold. Co-administrators: Berit Gullbekk, Irmgard Henriksson, Niclas Persson and Steve Trangsrud.
- Finno-Ugric-Samoedic Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Alex Shtrunov and Vladimir Volkov
- Flanders-Flemish DNA Project Administrator: Guido Deboeck
- French Heritage DNA project External sites http://frenchdna.org/ or http://adnfrancais.org/ established 2001 Administrators: Jacques Beaugrand and Jean-Pierre Gendreau-Hétu
- French R1b Project
- Gagnef Parish, Sweden Origins DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA) Established April 2008 Administrators: Rosalie Sundin and Diane Larson-Graham
- Germany DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Steve Dilks, E Martin, Eugen Hartman
- Germany Y-DNA Project (FTDNA site)
- Germany mtDNA Project (FTDNA site)
- Posen and West Prussia Provinces of Germany DNA Project
- Greek DNA Project Administrators: Vincent Vizachero, Nancy Grossman
- Greeks-Anatolian Turks DNA Project *Y-DNA, mtDNA and autosomal) Admins: Oğuzhan Türk and Ömer Faruk BEKŞEN
- Greek Y-DNA Project Administrator: A. J. R. Legits
- Hungarian Bukinova Project (Y-DNA) Administrators: Beth Long and Tibor Fehér.
- Hungarian Magyar Y-DNA Project Administrators: Beth Long and Tibor Fehér.
- Hungarian Jászság DNA Project Administrators: Alan Berezov and Tibor Fehér.
- Hungarian mtDNA Project Administrator: Tibor Fehér
- Iberian Peninsula DNA Project Administrator: Angel Cervantes
- Ireland Y-DNA Project Established Dec 2005 Administrator: Margaret Jordan, Co-Administrator: Paul Duffy
- Ireland mtDNA Project Administrators: Katherine Borges and Maurice Gleeson
- Annaghdown DNA Project - Est. June 2017. A Family Finder geographic-focused project for people with ancestry from the parish of Annaghdown, in County Galway, Ireland.
- Ards Peninsula, Northern Ireland DNA Project Administrator: Stephen McCracken, Co-administrator: Lena McVea
- Breifne Clans Y-DNA Project Gail Ruddenklau-Riddell
- Clare Roots Project
- Corca Laidhe Administrator Martha Bowes (Co-Admins: Colin Ferguson, Janet Crawford)
- Cork DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrator: Ann Coghlan
- County Donegal Administrator Seán Quinn
- County Longford DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) dormant
- County Wexford Ireland (Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder) Administrators: Martina Boylan and Maureen Sanders
- Enniskillen and Donegal Bay Families Geographical Y-DNA Study (dormant)
- Ely Carroll DNA Project Ely Carroll DNA is Y-chromosome DNA shared by 40 men with 6 names that match names in ancient pedigrees of men descended from Ely Carroll, and from Cian who lived in 4th-century Ireland. The six names are: Bohan/Bowes, Carroll, Flanagan, Mahar, Murphy, Redmond. Administrator: Peter Biggins.
- Irish Caribbean DNA Project Administrator: Maurice Gleeson
- Irish Grandparents Project. Administrator Maurice Gleeson. A project for people with all four grandparents born within the same region of Ireland.
- Irish Type III project (Y-DNA) Administrator: Dennis Wright
- Limerick DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrator: Dr Cathy Swift, Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
- Maine Gaeltacht DNA Project (Family Finder, mtDNA, Y-DNA) Established October 2011. Sponsored by the Maine Irish Heritage Center, Maine, US.
- Munster Irish DNA Y-DNA Project Established Jan 2012 Administrators: Elizabeth O'Donoghue/Ross, Nigel McCarthy
- Munster Pre Great Famine DNA Project - Est. July 2015. A geographical DNA project (Family Finder, mtDNA, Y-DNA) open to all with ancestry from the counties of Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford in the province of Munster, in Ireland.
- North of Ireland Family History Society Project
- R-A259 Uí Briúin Connachta Project studying a strong correlation between the R-A259 SNP and traditionally Uí Briúin surnames.
- Scots-Irish DNA Project Administrator Barry McCain
- Ulster Heritage Administrator Barry McCain
- Irish DNA Atlas Project
- Italy DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Vincent Vizachero, Richard Rocca
- Abruzzo, Italy DNA Project
- Campania Province of Italy DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA) Established Nov 2005 Administrator: Emily Aulicino
- Frosinone, Italy DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: James Denning
- Jewish and Italian MyOrigins A project for people with all four grandparents with origins either in Italy (including Sardinia and Sicily), or in a Jewish community including the Askenazim, Sephardim, Mizrachim, etc. Administrator: Vincent Palozzi. Co-administrators: Josh Weinstein and Michael Maddi.
- Latina Province of Italy DNA Project
- North Italy DNA Project
- Messina Province of Sicily DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA) Established November 2005 Administrator: Emily Aulicino
- Montemurro, Italy DNA Project
- Sicily DNA Project Administrators: E McComas, Mike Maddi
- Latvia DNA Project Administrator: Judy Simon
- Lithuanian DNA Project Administrator: JDZ
- Lithuania Proper Project Administrator: V. Povilionis
- Madeira DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators; Katherine Borges and José A. Fernandes
- Manx DNA project A Y-DNA project for men with ancestry from the Isle of Man. Established August 2010. Administrator: John Creer
- Malta DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Established 2008.
- Netherlands DNA Project Administrators: Yme Drost, R H A Sanders
- The Norway Project - Norgesprosjektet DNA Administrators: Anne M Berge, Frode Myrheim, Trond Bækkevold, Svein A. Bjørndal, David W. Howden, Håkon Styri, Sigmund Steinsbø.
- Polish DNA Project Administrator: Lawrence Mayka
- Portugal DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Katherine Borges
- Prussia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Szymon Borowski Co-administrator: Łukasz Łapiński
- Romania DNA Project Administrator: Dan Draghici
- Saami DNA Project
- Scandinavian Y-DNA Project Administrator: Justin Swanström
- Scandinavian mtDNA Project Administrator: Robert Anderson
- Scottish DNA project (Y-DNA & mtDNA) established in October 2001 by John Hansen as the Scottish Clans DNA Project. The project is now administered by the Genealogical Studies team at the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, Scotland, under the leadership of Alasdair Macdonald.
- Flemish in Scotland DNA Project Administrators: Alex Fleming and Alasdair Macdonald.
- Scottish Prisoners Project. Administrator: John Cleary. Co-administrators: Elizabeth Boggs, Teresa Rust. This project aims to discover descendants of the Scots captured in the battles of Dunbar and Worcester (1650-51) by Oliver Cromwell's army, and transported to the Americas.
- Siberia Tansbaikalia DNA Project Co-administrators: Dmitry Adamov, Vladimir Volkov
- Slovakia DNA Project
- Slovenia DNA Project
- House of Spain DNA Project Administrators: Ana Oquendo Pabón and Gary Felix
- Sweden DNA Project Administrator: Peter Sjölund, Jakob Norstedt-Moberg, Rolf Berlin, Don Ekberg
- Gagnef Parish, Sweden Origins DNA Project (mtDNA & Y-DNA) Established April 2008 Administrators: Rosalie Sundin and Diane Larson-Graham
- Switzerland DNA Project Administrators: Cyndi Rutledge and Bonnie Schrack
- French Swiss DNA Project (Y-DNA) established Nov 2005 Administrator: Carol Botteron
- Transylvania DNA Project
- Tyrol DNA Project Y-DNA, mtDNA and atDNA: Südtirol, Nordtirol, Osttirol, Trentino. Founded 2012 by Chris Rottensteiner
- Ukrainian DNA Project Administrator: Volodymyr Bodnar.. Co-administrator: Paul Stone
- Ukraine Black Sea DNA Project Administrator: George Helon
- Ukraine (Jewish) DNA Project Administrator: Judy Simon
- Wales DNA Project Administrator: Susan Rosine
- Welsh Patronymics Project Administrator: Belinda Dettman
Middle Eastern DNA Projects
- Al Sham DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrators: Turki A Al-Abdulwahab, Ahmad ALShawaf ALGaissi, Nader Daou
- Arab Mardin DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Arab Tribes DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Mohamed Eddali
- Arab World DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Arabian Gulf DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Assyrian Heritage DNA Project
- Druze DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrator: Nader Daou
- Iranian DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Iraq DNA Project Administrator: A Aziz
- Kurdish DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Lebanon DNA Project Administrator: Nader Daou
- Ayan Families in Lebanon DNA Project (Y-DNA) Administrator: Nader Daou
- Lebanon, Syria, Palestine and Jordan DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrators: Ted Kandell, Nancy Grossman and Kamal AL Gazzah
- Middle East DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Saudia Arabia DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Oman DNA Project A project for the Sultanate of Oman
- Syrian DNA Project Administrator: Muhannad Abou Saleh
- Yemen DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
North American DNA Projects
- Aleutian Islands DNA Project
- Bahamas DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Peter J Roberts
- Caribbean Y-DNA Project
- Florida Keys DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Mark Jones
- Hawaiian Ancestry DNA Project Administrator: Georgia Kinney Bopp
- Hawaiian Islanders DNA Project Administrator: Georgia Kinney Bopp
- Jamaica DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) (dormant?)
- Mexico DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Gary Felix
- Native American projects
- Newfoundland and Labrador Family Finder Project
- Newfoundland and Labrador mtDNA Project
- Prince Edward Island DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA)
- Puerto Rico DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Ana Oquendo Pabón
- Rehoboth, Massachusetts DNA Project (Y-DNA, mtDNA and atDNA) The project is open to everyone who have an ancestor who lived in Rehoboth, Massachusetts prior to 1750. Administrators: Kelly Wheaton and Martha Hicks
- Settlers of the 13 American Colonies Project An autosomal DNA project using results from FTDNA's Family Finder test. Administrator: Linda Peacock. Co-administrators: Ann Turner and David Reynolds.
South American DNA Projects
- Andes Area Project (dormant?)
- Brazil DNA Project (Y-DNA and mtDNA) Administrator: Doug Holmes
- Chile DNA Project
- Cuba DNA Project
- Venezuela DNA Project
Other project lists
- Project lists at Family Tree DNA
- A list of geographical projects on the World Families Network website
- A list of geographical projects on the MolGen Forum
- 23andMe projects
- Family Finder projects
- Genealogical society projects
- Jewish DNA projects A list maintained by JewishGen
- mtDNA haplogroup projects
- Native American projects
- Null value projects
- Special DNA projects
- Surname DNA projects
- Walk Through the Y projects
- Y-DNA haplogroup projects