International Society of Genetic Genealogy
From ISOGG Wiki
(Redirected from ISOGG)
of Genetic Genealogy
|Purpose/focus||To advocate for and educate about the use of genetics as a tool for genealogical research, and promote a supportive network for genetic genealogists|
The International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG) was founded in 2005 by DNA project administrators who shared a common vision: the promotion and education of genetic genealogy. The society's stated mission is "to advocate for and educate about the use of genetics as a tool for genealogical research, and promote a supportive network for genetic genealogists". The society is a non-commercial non-profit organization, and there are no membership fees/dues. ISOGG publishes an occasional newsletter. As of January 2013 ISOGG has over 8,000 members from 69 countries.
The following countries have regional pages on this Wiki:
ISOGG mailing lists and groups
ISOGG's mailing lists and online communities provide an opportunity for genetic genealogists to share their knowledge and ask questions:
- ISOGG DNA-Newbie List The DNA-NEWBIE list was founded in July 2005 at the suggestion of Ann Turner. As of December 2014, there are over 3,400 subscribers.
- ISOGG mailing list for project administrators A members-only mailing list founded in March 2005 for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy. The list is intended for those who are administrators of DNA projects. There are some useful files to download in the files section on the group homepage. As of December 2014 the group has 661 members.
- ISOGG Facebook group A very popular and active closed discussion list with nearly 9000 members (as of August 2015) from all over the world
- ISOGG Health and DNA list A discussion list for health and DNA topics - in particular relating to DTC tests and family health history.
- ISOGG group on LinkedIn
- ISOGG GenealogyWise group
In addition to the above lists and groups there are also regional mailing lists for individual countries and for many US states. Details are provided when joining ISOGG.
- Building roots from the ground up: Genealogy 2.0 by Anne H. 23 and Me Blog, 12 November 2008.
- References to ISOGG and JoGG
- Family History and DNA: Genetic Genealogy in 2013 - a joint seminar organised by ISOGG and the Southern California Genealogical Society
- ISOGG and the Who Do You Think You Are? Conference?
- Genetic Genealogy Ireland and Back To Our Past
- ISOGG DNA news archives
- ISOGG Project Administrator Guidelines
- ISOGG member peer review
- ISOGG Newsletter Archived newsletters from 2008 to 2012)