Online resources for project administrators
From ISOGG Wiki
This is a listing of online resources for project administrators.
- 1 Mailing lists and Facebook groups for project administrators
- 2 Former lists
- 3 ISOGG resources for project administrators
- 4 Resources from the Guild of One-Name Studies
- 5 Blog posts
- 6 Family Tree DNA resources
- 7 FTDNA Facts and Genes articles
- 8 Other resources
- 9 Tools for project administrators
- 10 See also
Mailing lists and Facebook groups for project administrators
- ISOGG mailing list for project administrators A members-only mailing list founded in March 2005 for members of the International Society of Genetic Genealogy. The list is intended for those who are administrators of DNA projects and genetic genealogy educators (bloggers, lecturers, authors, etc). The list was originally hosted at Yahoo Groups but with the closure of Yahoo moved to IO Groups on 25th November 2020. The Yahoo Archives are no longer accessible online.
- Facebook group for FTDNA project administrators
- Facebook group for Y-DNA project administrators
- Family Tree DNA group administrators forum
- Y-DNA Projects list. A former Rootsweb mailing list for the discussion and sharing of information regarding practical issues related to STR testing for Y-DNA surname projects in a genealogical time frame only. The archives are available here.
ISOGG resources for project administrators
- ISOGG Project Administrator Guidelines
- A comparison of communication methods used by ISOGG project administrators → Archived April 17, 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- A project administration handbook by ISOGG member Ralph Taylor
- DNA 101: Y chromosome testing John Blair's guide to Y-DNA testing for beginners
- Recruiting participants by ISOGG member John A Blair
- Towards improvements in Y-DNA surname project administration by James M. Irvine. Journal of Genetic Genealogy, Fall 2010, Volume 6, Number 1. The Surname Population Matrix used in this paper can be downloaded here.
- Admin checklist Georgia Kinney Bopp's checklist aids DNA Project Admins with everything they need to know to keep track of their project participants.
- Genetic Genealogy - Y-DNA, Ancestral Trees and Mutation Graphs Tutorial notes from Robert Baber.
Resources from the Guild of One-Name Studies
- An introduction to DNA A collection of articles about DNA testing and surname project administration from the Guild of One-Name Studies with links to articles that are of particular relevance for beginners.
- Getting the most out of your Y-DNA test by Maurice Gleeson, DNA and Family Tree Research blog, 1 April 2016. Maurice provides a template of testing advice which can be adapted for use by individual projects.
- Getting cousins to test, a Rootstech talk by Kitty Cooper. Kitty Cooper's Blog, 7 February 2014.
- Contacting/approaching potential DNA testers by Emily Aulicino, Genealem blog, 1 October 2008
- Make FTDNA GAP WYSIWYG and MS Word play nice by Rebekah Canada, Haplogroup blog, 14 July 2013.
Family Tree DNA resources
- FTDNA projects FTDNA surname, lineage and geographical projects
- Group Administrator Quick Start Guide
- Group Administrator Page (GAP): Reference Questions and Answers about being a Group Project administrator or co-administrator.
- FTDNA Group Administrator Terms and Policies
- Group Administrator Quick Start Guide
- How to use the FTDNA GAP
- GAP: Interpretation Questions and Answers about interpreting and explaining your project members' results
- Group Administration Page: Filters and FTQL The FTDNA FAQ section for the new Filters and the FTQL query language
FTDNA Facts and Genes articles
Family Tree DNA's newsletter Facts and Genes has sometimes contained useful articles relating to project administration. These newsletters are no longer available on the Family Tree DNA website but are preserved in the Internet Archive:
- Recruiting participants: surnames Volume 4, Issue 5, October 12, 2005
- Action items for group administrators: surname variants and co-administrators Volume 4, Issue 5, October 12, 2005
- Y-DNA Projects, recruiting participants: opportunities, and action items Volume 4, Issue 6, December 5, 2005
- Recruiting participants: annual update Volume 5, Issue 1, March 27, 2006
- Recruiting participants: fund raising Volume 5, Issue 2, August 08, 2006
- Recruiting participants: cost justification Volume 5, Issue 3, November 12, 2006
- Recruiting participants: your Google ranking and annual update Volume 6, Issue 1, March 05, 2007
- Recruiting participants: donations Volume 6, Issue 3, July 27, 2007
- Y-DNA: global view of the surname Volume 6, Issue 4, September 06, 2007
- Recruiting participants: recruitment is a process Volume 6, Issue 4, September 06, 2007
- For group administrators: annual update Volume 7, Issue 1, February 20, 2008
- Recruiting participants: tips and techniques Volume 7, Issue 4, August 15, 2008
- Y-DNA surnames and one-name studies Volume 7, Issue 5, November 24, 2008
- For group administrators: recruiting in the ancestral country Volume 7, Issue 5, November 24, 2008
- Tutorial for surname DNA tests (Internet Archive version) A very useful four-page tutorial from DNA Heritage (now part of Family Tree DNA) showing how Y-chromosome STR testing can be used within a surname DNA project.
- Tips for a successful project A World Families tutorial.
- Diary of a product administrator The musings of the administrator of the Bolt DNA project.