Resources for colonial Virginia and Maryland
From ISOGG Wiki
This list of resources for researching immigrant ancestors to colonial Virginia and Maryland, with an emphasis on those migrating from England, was compiled by ISOGG member Nora Probasco from a series of postings on the ISOGG Project Administrators' Mailing List and her own research. If you know of any additional resources please feel free to add them to the list.
- Beier, A. L. Masterless Men: The Vagrancy Problem in England 1560-1640, Methuen, New York and London, 1985.
- Brenner, Robert. Merchants and Revolution: Commercial Change, Political Conflict, and London’s Overseas Traders, 1550-1653, Cambridge University Press, UK, 1993.
- Fischer, David Hacket. Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1989.
- Humphrey-Smith, Cecil R. The Phillimore Atlas & Index of Parish Registers, 3rd edition, Phillimore & Co., Sussex, England, 2003.
- Migration and Society in Early Modern England, edited by Peter Clark and David Souden, Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., Hutchison, UK 1988 or Barnes & Noble, Totowa, NJ, 1988 (Collection of various essays) such as, "Rogues, Whores and Vagabonds?: Indentured servant migration to North America and in the case of mid-seventeenth century Bristol", "Moving on in the New World: migration and out-migration in the seventeenth-century Chesapeake".
- Calendar of State Papers Colonial which covers the period from 1574 and 1660 and can be searched free of charge on the British History Online website
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. Complete Book of Emigrants in Bondage, 1614-1775
- Coldham, Peter Wilson. Supplement to The Complete Book of Emigrants in Bondage, 1614-1775, (Both located on FTM CD #350) Coldham has revamped these references and added more in an updated version called British Emigrants in Bondage, 1614-1788
- Docklands Ancestors Ltd This is a growing list covering the London Docklands area and they are now back to the 1600s with some parishes.
- Hargreaves-Mawdsley, R. Bristol and America: a record of the first settlers in the colonies of North America, 1654-1685, Genealogical Publishing Co., MD, 1997.
- Hotten, John Camden. The Original Lists of Persons of Quality; Emigrants; Religious Exiles; Political Rebels; Serving Men Sold for a Term of Years; Apprentices; Children Stolen; Maidens Pressed; and Others Who Went from Great Britain to the American Plantations, 1600-1700, (1874; reprint, Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1983) (Some of this is also indexed in the above Immigrant Servants' Database and the complete, searchable book is located on Google books for free)
- Hume, Robert. Early Child Immigrants to Virginia 1618-1642, Magna Carta Book Company, Baltimore, Maryland, 1986.
- Immigrant Servants' Database
Census lists for possible identification of immigrants
- Inhabitants of London in 1638 from British History Online
- London Inhabitants Within the Walls, 1695 from British History Online
Virginia research bibliography
- Dorman, John Frederick. Adventurers of Purse and Person: Virginia 1607-1624/25, 4th ed., Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 2004.
- Galenson, David. White Servitude in Colonial America: An Economic Analysis, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge and New York, 1981.
- Hackett, David and James C. Kelly. Bound Away: Virginia and the Westward Movement, University Press of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, 2000.
- Hening, William Waller. Hening's Statutes, Being a Collection of all the Laws of Virginia from the First Session of the Legislature, in the Year 1619. Transcribed for the internet by Freddie L. Spradlin.
- Horn, James. Adapting to a New World: English Society in the Seventeenth-Century Chesapeake, The University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill and London, 1994.
- McGinnis, Carol. Virginia Genealogy Sources & Resources, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1998 (reprint: 2008), available from Genealogical.com or Amazon.
- Morgan, Edmund S. Headrights and Head Counts: A Review Article, Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, 1972, LXXX, pp. 361–372.
- Nugent, Nell Marion. Cavaliers and Pioneers: Abstracts of Virginia Land Patents and Grants, 1623–1666, Five Volumes, Dietz Printing Co., Richmond, VA, 1934 (reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1983)
- Origins of Colonial Chesapeake Indentured Servants: American and English Sources, NGSQ 93 (Mar 2005): 5-24.) (a talk given by the Librarian of the Virginia Historical Society.
- The Oxford History of the British Empire, Vol. I, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 1998, Chapter 8 is an essay by James Horn titled "Tobacco Colonies: The Shaping of English Society in the Seventeenth-Century Chesapeake."
- Petty, James W. Seventeenth Century Virginia County Court Headright Certificates. The Virginia Genealogist, vol. 45, no. 1 (Jan-Mar 2001), pp. 3–22; vol. 45, no. 2 (Apr–June 2001), pp. 112–122.
- Slatten, Richard. Interpreting Headrights in Colonial Virginia Patents: Uses and Abuses, National Genealogical Society Quarterly, 75 (Sept. 1987), pp. 169–179.
- The Virginia Genealogist, Vols. 1-27 - available through Heritage Books, Inc.
- Virginia Land Patent Documents located at the Library of Virginia
- R. F. Walker article entitled "Lists of the Living and the Dead in Virginia Feb 16, 1623" from the Colonial Records of Virginia, Richmond, 1874.
- Parishes of Virginia
Maryland research bibliography
- Coldham, Peter W. Settlers of Maryland (1679–1783), Five Volumes, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1995-1996.
- Gibb, Carson, Ph.D. A Supplement to the Early Settlers of Maryland, Maryland State Archives, Annapolis, MD, 1997.
- Skordas, Gust. Early Settlers of Maryland: An Index of Names of Immigrants Compiled from Records of Land Patents, 1633-1680, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, MD, 1968. (Those referencing Chesapeake under the Virginia bibliography may also cover Maryland.)
- Colonial Families of the Eastern Shore of Maryland by various authors, Vols. 1-23. They are available in book or CD format. There are many errors in these works, but they are still worth checking.
- Wright, F. Edward. Maryland Eastern Shore Vital Records 1648-1725, Family Line Publications, Westminster, MD, 1993.