From ISOGG Wiki
Surname mapping is a useful technique for a surname DNA project. Many surnames have regional distribution patterns. Mapping the distribution of a surname at different points in time will often reveal the origin of the family name and will thus provide a narrower focus for further research and for recruitment efforts. Surname maps are generally created using information from censuses, electoral registers and telephone directories.
Surname mapping websites
- GB Names A website provided by the Consumer Data Research Centre. Provides surname distributions in Britain from the 1851-1911 censuses and for more recent years (1997, 2006 and 2016).
- The Genealogist - has maps showing the distribution of surnames in the 1941 to 1911 census and the 1939 Register. Subscribers can access maps showing surname distribution the birth, marriage and death indexes for England and Wales
- Your Family History A site which provides surname distribution maps for England and Wales from census data (1841-1911).
- Geogen (Germany and Austria)
- Digital Dictionary of German Surnames (in German) Includes distribution maps.
- Surname distributions from the 1942 and 1998 telephone directories
- Surname maps from Forebears based on the 1901 census
- Irish surnames (Also available at Irish Times maps)
- Irish surname maps based on the 1901 and 1911 censuses
- Down Survey of Ireland Maps based on a land survey taken in the years 1656-1658
- Netherlands Family Names
- The Dutch Surnames Bank A database of Surnames in the Netherlands provided by the Meertens Institut
- Surname Distribution Mapper (Jewish surnames in Poland)
- Ancestry maps (Maps showing surname distributions in censuses from 1840-1920)
- https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/ The Genealogist] - has maps showing the distribution of surnames in the 1940 census
- Surname distribution analysis - upload your data from the US 1880 census
Surname mapping software
- Family Atlas from Roots Magic
- GenMap Software for plotting surname distribution in Britain from your own data
- Surname Atlas Software for plotting surname distribution in Britain from the 1881 census indexes