Thrift /Frith /Firth DNA Project
From ISOGG Wiki
The Thrift /Frith /Firth Surname DNA Project:
Project main page (site map): http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~thriftzzfrithzzfirth/
Project background: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Thrift-Frith-Firth/default.aspx
One-name study profile page: http://www.one-name.org/profiles/thrift.html
Subgroup for access to the Ancestry.com DNA database: http://groups.ancestry.com/group/62479543
The Thrift /Frith /Firth Surname DNA Project is intended for any male with a surname among those derived from Old English 'fyrhpe,' including Firk, Firks, Firth, Freak, Freake, Freed, Freeth, Freke, Fridd, Frift, Fright, Frith, Fryd, Thrift, Evilthrift, & Vreede. -It is NOT restricted solely to Thrift, Frith and Firth. Any male with any of these surnames is encouraged to join. To do so, please contact the administrator.
To understand the reason for this odd collection of surnames, see the entry for Firth in A Dictionary of English Surnames, by Reaney & Wilson. The Thrift & Evilthrift One-Name Study discusses origins of the names included in this DNA project.
The goals for this project include:
- Assist in interpreting DNA test results
- Unequivocally determine which families can be traced to a common ancestor.
- Confirm the validity of existing paper trails that indicate common ancestry.
- Discover information that might resolve known issues or brick walls.
- Encourage related families to
1) share resources related to tracing ancestors,
2) establish as common knowledge what has already been reliably researched, and then
3) focus attention on remaining critical areas.
- Determine for each surname how many unique lines exist, and gather clues as to where each line originated.
For more information (including background information on DNA testing), see the Thrift /Frith /Firth DNA Project Background Page
Please contact me if you have any questions:
Richard Thrift ( --please include DNA Project in the subject line )
Thrift /Frith /Firth Surname DNA Project administrator