From ISOGG Wiki
Some people get unexpected results from a DNA test. They might have a match with a previously unknown close relative. Conversely the close relative they are supposed to match does not appear in their match list.
There are a number of support groups which can help people who get unexpected results from a DNA test:
- Facebook DNA NPE Gateway Group A gateway group to a community which provides emotional support "for those who were surprised to learn through a genealogical DNA test that their parent(s) is confirmed to NOT be their biological parent(s)".
- DNA secrets A Facebook group set up by Wayne Cedric Bell.
- CeCe Moore and Watershed DNA host a secret support group on Facebook
- The Donor Conception Network (UK) can offer support for people who have discovered through DNA testing that they are donor conceived and can provide referrals to qualified counsellors
- NPE Fellowship A group which provides "emotional, educational, and practical support to those who have discovered that one or both parents were not their biological parent(s)".
- When a DNA test shatters your identity by Sarah Zhang, The Atlantic, 18 July 2018.
- Letters: my dad was not my biological father. The Atlantic, 18 August 2018. Readers of the Atlantic share their experiences following the publication of Sarah Zhang's article (above).
- When a DNA test upends your identity, some find 'family' in secret Facebook group. Good Morning America.
- How to handle shocking DNA test results, according to experts Genetic counselor Brianne Kirkpatrick and family psychologist Jennifer Harstein talk to Megyn Kelly on the Today program.
- Interview with Catherine St Clair, the founder of the DNA NPE Facebook group Today show, 7 September 2018.
- 'Your father's not your father': when DNA tests reveal more than you bargained for by Elle Hunt, The Guardian, 18 September 2019.
- Dear Prudence: Help! My husband just learned his family’s biggest secret through a DNA test.
- When a DNA test reveals your daughter is not your biological child by Sarah Zhang, The Atlantic, 12 October 2018.
- 20 of the most shocking DNA test discoveries exposed by Kelly Bryant, Reader's Digest, published online on 29 October 2018.
- Surprise DNA results are turning customer-service reps into therapits by Kristen Brown, Bloomberg News, 19 December 2018.
- The Christmas present that could tear your family apart by Lucy Ash. BBC News Stories, 20 December 2018.
- How ancestry databases are changing modern families by Rebecca Fishwick, DNA Testing Choice, 8 January 2019.
- DNA and uncovered secrets by Richard Weiss. A useful online Powerpoint presentation.
- Family Secrets Research Katy Barbier-Greenland from Swinburne University in Melbourne, Australia, is doing a PhD on the impact of family secrets on people's lives.