Dear ISOGG Wiki editor!
We thought you might like to know about some of the major changes that have been made to the ISOGG Wiki in the last few weeks in order to make the site easier to navigate.
- A major redesign of the Wiki home page
- A new Contents Page which lists all the articles in the Wiki arranged in thematic "chapters"
- A new Index which provides an auto-generated alphabetical listing of all the articles in the Wiki
- A new Abbreviations page. Note that these abbreviations also serve as shortcuts for ease of navigation (for example, if you type in "SNP" in the search box you will automatically be redirected to the article for single-nucleotide polymorphism)
- New thematic Portals are in the process of being implemented. These will allow us to group articles and content together by subject matter. The key portals are now linked from the welcome box at the top of the home page
- The Sidebar (the menu on the left of your screen) has been revamped and now also includes a Quick Links section for easy access to key Wiki pages such as the Contents Page, Index and Glossary
- A Help Portal is being developed to serve as a home for all the links to the help pages.
We hope you like the improvements!
Work continues to develop the Wiki and planning is now being co-ordinated on the ISOGG Wiki Roadmap. Please feel free to add your ideas, contribute to existing articles or create new ones.
Further suggestions are always welcome. Please add your suggestions to the Roadmap or contact the Wiki admins.
- ---- your WikiAdmins
Welcome to ISOGG Wiki!
We hope you will be bold and contribute to the ISOGG Wiki.
As a new user the first you might want to do is set your user preferences. This will help personalize your experience on the ISOGG Wiki.
You will probably will also want to read the help pages or the editing cheatsheet if you have never contributed to a wiki before.
- This wiki provides a "rich text editor" sometimes called a WYSIWYG editor to help new users who may not know the wiki markup language.
- Don't be afraid to edit – anyone can edit almost any page, and we encourage you to be bold!
- Find a page marked: needs content and add to it.
- Find a page that can be improved and make it better. For example: Add more links, check spelling, improve grammar, rewriting for readability or removing unconstructive edits.
- Find a category in need of more pages and create one!
- Changes to controversial topics and ISOGG Wiki's main pages should usually be discussed first. You can use the talk page to post questions and ideas pertaining to a specific page.
- You can sign your name on talk pages by typing ~~~~; our software automatically converts it to your username and the date.
- You can't break a wiki; all edits can be reversed, fixed or improved later. The ISOGG Wiki is allowed to be imperfect.
- You can also preview your edit with the "preview" button below the editor's window.
So go ahead, edit an article and help make the ISOGG Wiki the best information source on the Internet for genetic genealogy!
Again, welcome and have fun!
"The ISOGG Wiki Administrators"