Welcome to the ISOGG Wiki
What is ISOGG?
The International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG) was founded in 2005 by DNA project administrators who shared a common vision: promotion of and education about genetic genealogy. Our mission is to advocate for and educate about the use of genetics as a tool for genealogical research, and promote a supportive network for genetic genealogists.
This Wiki was established for the benefit and education of the genetic genealogy community. To contribute to this Wiki please join ISOGG (it's free!). If you don't have information to contribute enjoy reading the articles on this website.
Explore the ISOGG Wiki
Genetic Genealogy Resources
Comparison Charts of DNA Testing Companies
Historical Timeline of Genetic Genealogy
Things to do
Did you know?
You can find out more about this term...
Mitosis is a cellular process that replicates chromosomes and produces two identical nuclei in preparation for cell division. Generally, mitosis is immediately followed by the equal division of the cell nuclei and other cell contents into two daughter cells.
Tips for Searching the Wiki
The easiest way to find pages is to type the subject of interest into the Search Box on the top-right of your screen. As you type, a drop-down list of pages will appear. Click on a suggested page to view it or click the very bottom of the list where it says "containing" to view every mention of the search term in the ISOGG Wiki. Abbreviations can also be used as navigation shortcuts so that, for example, if you type in SNP you will automatically be redirected to the page for single-nucleotide polymorphism, NPE will take you to the page for non-paternity event and atDNA will take you to the page for autosomal DNA.
The Contents Page provides a thematic list of all the pages in the ISOGG Wiki. Additionally the Wiki can be searched from the Index, an alphabetical listing of all articles in the Wiki. Alternatively you can browse the pages by searching the Category Tree.
Wiki Documentation and Help
Things you can do to help
- Join ISOGG - You need to be a member of ISOGG and have a registered Wiki account before you can edit this Wiki.
- Register and login - Once you have joined ISOGG you will need to apply for an ISOGG Wiki account. Your name and email are checked against the member database, and you will then be granted an account.
- Learn how to edit
If you would like to contribute to the Wiki and you are not able to join us, please send your corrections, comments and articles to the Wiki Admins.
Help us improve
- Suggest ideas for future articles or improvement to existing content. Post your thoughts on our Roadmap
- Add or edit pages in the Portals.
- Work on one of the Wiki pages that are in need of additional content.
- The Portal Project is the start of a major reorganization of the Wiki content into thematic portals to aid in Wiki navigation and searching. Some of the new and proposed portals are listed below: