Y-DNA STR testing comparison chart
From ISOGG Wiki(Redirected from Y-DNA STR testing chart)
This Y-STR testing chart provides comparative information on the Y-STR Y chromosome DNA tests offered by the major DNA testing companies. Y-STR tests are used for genetic genealogy within a genealogical timeframe and are generally co-ordinated through surname DNA projects.
For guidelines on DNA testing see the Genetic genealogy standards.
This chart is provided for informational purposes only. Additions can be made upon ISOGG member request. Please submit additions, corrections/updates to .
|Company and product name||Family Tree DNA||Genebase Systems, Inc.||YSEQ|
|Main purpose of test||Genealogy||Genealogy||Genealogy|
|Date when product first went on sale||2000||2005 (1998)||2013|
|Cost||12 STRs $59 (only available through projects)
37 STRs $119
111 STRs $249
|20 STRs $119
44 STRs $199
101 STRs $339
|Alpha Panel (16 STRs, including some multi-part markers) $58|
Beta Panel (14 STRs, including some multi-part markers) $58
Alpha-Beta Panel (37 STRs) $85
Delta Panel (50 STRs) $95
Gamma Panel (36 STRs) $95
|Additional Y-STRs||Discontinued||n/a||Single markers $9.95 - $15.00 (from a selection of 125)|
DYS464 palindromic panel including DYS464X and DYF399X $25
|Shipping charges||$9.95 for the USA and for international orders (prepaid return postage is included for US kits)||Regular delivery: approximately 7 to 10 business days - $10.00 USD. Express delivery: 1 to 2 business days - $25.00 USD||$6.00 USD or €5.22 worldwide|
|International product availability||Worldwide||Worldwide||Worldwide|
|DNA sample storage||Yes (free 25 years)||Unknown||Free unlimited storage|
|Projects supported||Yes, Surname projects, geographical projects and haplogroup projects||No||Yes, Surname projects and haplogroup projects|
|Size of Y-STR database as of 26 May 2016||733,000+ ||Unknown||75814|
|Project/crowd funding||Yes, through projects' General Funds||No||Yes, by donating to Group Funds|
|Online community or forum||Public FTDNA Forums||?||YSEQ Facebook group|
|Additional DNA testing options available from this company||Yes, Y-SNP testing (single SNPs, specialised SNP panels and Y-chromosome sequencing), mtDNA testing and autosomal DNA testing||Yes, limited Y-SNP testing and multiple options for mtDNA testing||Yes, Single Y-SNP testing (single SNPs and specialised SNP panels), whole genome sequencing, mtDNA testing, autosomal STR testing and X-STR testing|
|Lead scientists in the company||Michael Hammer, Connie Bormans||Unknown||Thomas Krahn, Astrid Krahn.|
|Advisory board and consultants for the company||Michael Hammer and Doron Behar||Unknown||n/a|
|Ownership||Gene by Gene||?||Privately held by Thomas Krahn and Astrid Krahn|
|Lab(s) used||Family Tree DNA Genomics Center, Houston, Texas||Genetrack Biolabs, Inc.||YSEQ GmbH, Berlin, Germany|
|Method for collecting the sample||Cheek swab||Cheek swab||Cheek swab|
|Address||Family Tree DNA
1445 North Loop West
|Genebase Systems Inc
Vancouver BC V5R 5T5
Kettinger Straße 32
|E-mail address||FTDNA Contact Form|
|Phone number||(1) 713-868-1438||(1) 877-714-6357 (toll free)||(1) 281-627-8139.|
|Year founded||2000||2005 (1998)||2013|
Family Tree DNA, Genebase and Y-SEQ are registered, trademarked, and/or copyrighted names of companies, websites and organizations, not affiliated with ISOGG.
For a detailed comparison of the individual Y-STR markers tested by each company, including companies which are no longer trading, see Michael L. Hébert's Y-DNA Testing Company STR Marker Comparison Chart
- Coakley L. Which DNA testing company should I use? Genie1 blog (a review from the perspective of people living in Australia and New Zealand)
- Griffith S. Buyer beware links. Genealogy Junkie, 14 May, 2014.
- Griffith S. Notes for UK (& Ex-US) residents re DNA testing companies. Genealogy Junkie, 16 January 2014.
- MacArthur D. Ready to test your DNA: how to choose a genetic testing company. PRI's The World, 22 March 2012.
- Aulicino E. Which DNA testing company fits your needs? Genealem blog, 23 May 2009.
- Wagner JK, Cooper JD, Sterling R, and Royal CD. Tilting at windmills no longer: a data-driven discussion of DTC DNA ancestry tests. Genetics in Medicine 2012:14(6):586–593. The article provides a snapshot of the direct-to-consumer DNA ancestry testing industry in April 2010 based on a survey of company websites.
- DNAtestingchoice.com A DNA testing review website
- Before You Buy
- Beginners' guides to genetic genealogy
- Choosing a DNA testing company
- Free DNA tests
- List of Y-DNA haplogroup projects
- Shipping DNA kits
- SNP testing
- Surname DNA projects
- Y chromosome DNA tests
- Y-DNA next generation sequencing
- Y-DNA SNP testing chart
- Y-DNA tools
- Understanding genetic ancestry testing
- The YSEQ Alpha-Beta Panel tests the same markers as the FTDNA 37-marker YDNA test
- Shipping DNA tests worldwide FTDNA Learning Center. Accessed 12 January 2021.
- YSEQ cannot guarantee how long samples will be usable. If a sample degrades a free replacement kit will be provided. The customer will need to pay the return postage back to Berlin.
- About the Family Tree DNA database. Accessed 5 January 2020.
- Thomas Krahn. Personal communication to Debbie Kennett, 5 January 2020.
- Who's who at Family Tree DNA
- Genebase launched in 2005. Genetrack Biolabs launched in 1998