List of DNA testing companies
From ISOGG Wiki
This is a list of DNA testing companies offering direct-to-consumer (DTC) DNA tests for genealogy, deep ancestry (Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroups) and biogeographical ancestry (admixture). This list is provided for information only. Inclusion on this list does not imply recommendation or endorsement by ISOGG. ISOGG welcomes additions and corrections to this list. Please contact us with the appropriate details.
For guidelines on DNA testing see the Genetic genealogy standards.
For comparisons of the testing services provided by the major genetic genealogy companies see the ISOGG testing comparison charts:
- Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart
- mtDNA testing comparison chart
- Y-DNA SNP testing chart
- Y-DNA next generation sequencing
- Y-DNA STR testing chart
DNA testing companies
- 23andMe (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, genealogy) (health and trait reports also available in some countries)
- 23mofang (admixture, deep ancestry, health and traits) A company catering for the Chinese market
- 24 genetics (admixture, exome sequencing, health, paternity, pharmacogenetics, whole genome sequencing) A company catering for the Spanish market
- African Ancestry (deep ancestry)
- AncestrybyDNA (admixture, deep ancestry)
- AncestryDNA, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com (admixture, adoption, genealogy)
- Centrillion Biosciences (aka TribeCode) (admixture, deep ancestry)
- Dante Labs (exome sequencing, health, whole genome sequencing) A test aimed at the European market
- DNA Ancestry and Family Origin (FTDNA affiliate in the Middle East) (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, full mtDNA sequencing, genealogy)
- DNA Worldwide (formerly a FTDNA partner. See also Living DNA)
- Family Tree DNA (admixture, adoption, deep ancestry, full mtDNA sequencing, genealogy, Y chromosome sequencing)
- Full Genomes Corporation (whole genome sequencing, Y-chromosome sequencing)
- Gene by Gene - the parent company of Family Tree DNA which now incorporates the companies previously known as DNA Traits, DNA DTC and DNA Findings (research, health, exome sequencing, whole genome sequencing)
- Genebase (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Genera (FTDNA partner in Brazil for ancestry tests) - also performs tests for paternity, fetal gender detection, pharmacogenetics, nutrition and physical traits
- GenoTek (admixture, genealogy, diet and fitness, family planning, health, talents and sports) A company catering for the Russian market
- Genos Research Inc (DTC whole exome sequencing; consumer focused healthcare big data spin out from Complete Genomics; Note: no genetic genealogy focus or tools)
- Helix (exome sequencing) US supplier of the Genographic Project Geno 2.0 Next Generation test
- iGENEA (FTDNA affiliate) (admixture, deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Living DNA (admixture, deep ancestry) See also DNA Worldwide
- MyHeritage (admixture, genealogy)
- Nebula Genomics (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
- Oxford Ancestors (deep ancestry)
- Roots for Real (admixture, deep ancestry)
- Sano Genetics (exome sequencing and interpretation, whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
- Sorenson Genomics (laboratory services)
- TribeCode See Centrillion Biosciences
- Veritas Genetics (USA) (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
- Veritas Intercontinental (Europe, Latin America, Japan and the United Arab Emirates) (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
- WeGene (admixture, deep ancestry, health, sports, traits) A test tailored for the East Asian market
- YSEQ (custom Y-SNPs, Y-STRs, SNP panels, whole genome sequencing)
- Yoogene (deep ancestry - YSTRs and mtDNA) A company catering for the Chinese market
Paternity/relationship testing companies
There are a number of testing companies who specialise in paternity, relationship, identity, forensic and immigration testing. Some of these companies also offer deep ancestry and ethnicity testing as a secondary product. Many of these companies are licensed to sell the AncestrybyDNA test.
For a list of paternity testing labs see the DNA Testing Choice website.
DNA testing companies no longer trading
- AfricanDNA (FTDNA affiliate) (admixture, deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Argus BioSciences (deep ancestry, full mtDNA sequencing)
- Cambridge DNA Services (Internet Archive version) (admixture, deep ancestry)
- BritainsDNA (formerly Ethnoancestry) (admixture, deep ancestry)
- CymruDNAWales - see BritainsDNA
- DNA Bioscience (genealogy, immigration, paternity, relationship)
- DNA-Fingerprint (acquired by Family Tree DNA in 2006)
- DNA Heritage (acquired by Family Tree DNA in April 2011) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- DNAme (admixture, deep ancestry)
- DNAPrint Genomics (admixture)
- DNA Spectrum (admixture)
- DNA Tribes (admixture)
- Ethnoancestry - see BritainsDNA
- Family Builder (Internet Archive version from February 2010) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Family Genetics (UK) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Guardiome (admixture, whole genome sequencing and interpretation) As of 2 February 2018 the website says "Evolving... Come back for Guardiome v2.0 on February 1st 2018".
- Genographic Project (admixture, deep ancestry)
- Genetic Testing Laboratories
- IrelandsDNA - See BritainsDNA (formerly Ethnoancestry)
- Knome (whole genome sequencing and interpretation)
- Navigenics (health) (acquired by Life Technologies in July 2013 who in turn were acquired by Thermo Fisher Scientific in February 2014.)
- MyDNA Global - a new name for BritainsDNA
- Pathway Genomics (health)
- GeneTree (acquired by AncestryDNA) in 2012) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Geogene ceased trading in 2008
- Relative Genetics (acquired by AncestryDNA in summer 2007) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- ScotlandsDNA - (formerly Ethnoancestry) (admixture, deep ancestry)
- Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation (acquired by AncestryDNA in 2012) (deep ancestry, genealogy)
- Trace Genetics (acquired by DNAPrint Genomics in June 2005
- YorkshiresDNA - See BritainsDNA (formerly Ethnoancestry)
- Coakley L. Which DNA testing company should I use? Genie! blog (a review from the perspective of people living in Australia and New Zealand)
- Griffith S. Buyer beware links. Genealogy Junkie, 14 May, 2014.
- Griffith S. Notes for UK (& Ex-US) residents re DNA testing companies. Genealogy Junkie, 16 January 2014.
- MacArthur D. Ready to test your DNA: how to choose a genetic testing company. PRI's The World, 22 March 2012.
- Aulicino E. Which DNA testing company fits your needs? Genealem blog, 23 May 2009.
- Phillips AM (2016). ‘Only a click away — DTC genetics for ancestry, health, love…and more: A view of the business and regulatory landscape’. Applied & Translational Genomics 8: 16-22.
- Wagner JK, Cooper JD, Sterling R, and Royal CD (2012). Tilting at windmills no longer: a data-driven discussion of DTC DNA ancestry tests. Genetics in Medicine 14(6):586–593. The article provides a snapshot of the direct-to-consumer DNA ancestry testing industry in April 2010 based on a survey of company websites.
- Webborn N, Williams A, McNamee M et al (2015). Direct-to-consumer genetic testing for predicting sports performance and talent identification: Consensus statement. British Journal of Sports Medicine 49:1486-1491. See also the Consensus Statement on direct-to-consumer genetic testing for sports performance and talent identification from this group.
- DNAtestingchoice.com A DNA testing review website
- The NIH (US National Institute of Health) Genetic Testing Registry The GTR provides a central location for voluntary submission of genetic test information by providers.
- Autosomal DNA
- Beginners' guides to genetic genealogy
- Free DNA tests
- Genetic ancestry
- Mitochondrial DNA tests
- Personal genomics
- Shipping DNA kits
- Y chromosome DNA tests