Genetic genealogy 2009
From ISOGG Wiki
A number of ISOGG members are included in a beta group of 23andMe customers who were invited to test a new autosomal product from 23andMe by the name of Relative Finder. Selected customers were offered discount codes to test other family members and friends.
23andMe opens up the beta testing of its Relative Finder feature to its entire customer database. Relative Finder predicts relationships based on the amount of DNA shared and the size of the shared segments.
Relative Finder is launched to the public on 9 February 2010. The launch coincides with the genealogy and genetics TV series Faces of America hosted by Henry Louis Gates, Jr.
The feature was renamed as DNA Relatives in April 2013.
- Estes R. New 23andMe autosomal test opportunity Lost Colony Research Group blog, 21 September 2009.
- See also the thread on the Genealogy DNA mailing list started on 15 September 2009 under the subject line "23andMe discount".
- Bettinger B. Relative Finder now in open beta. The Genetic Genealogist blog, 28 October 2009.
- Hon L. Introducing the Relative Finder: the newest feature from 23andMe. The 23andMe blog, 23 November 2009.
- Faces of America PBS. 23andMe Blog, 9 February 2010.
- A new look at 23andMe The 23andMe blog, 5 April 2013.