From ISOGG Wiki
There is no way to arrive at an unknown destination unless you have a map to get there.
|This page will be in a constant state of flux! Contributions and suggestions from all users welcome.|
- 1 Articles to be transferred from the main ISOGG website
- 2 Article and content improvements
- 3 Articles needed
- 4 Wiki documentation
- 5 Mainly for admins
- 6 Help pages
- 7 Improvements to navigation
- 8 Editing
- 9 Projects and user involvement
- 10 Project Namespace aka ISOGG Wiki
- 11 List of new pages needing content for reference
Articles to be transferred from the main ISOGG website
These are pages under the
main ISOGG web domain and not transferred to the wiki yet. These pages are still available for viewing using the Web Archive.
|The old ISOGG website links below will take you to web.archive.org. Please click links to view the old pages and then choose the last date available on the calendar presented to see the original content of the page.|
Pages which need to redirected to a wiki article or Portal page.
- http://isogg.org/mtBLAST.htm Page on Blasting mtDNA full genome sequence (FGS) results. This is currently linked from the mtDNA tools page
www.isogg.org/rssnp.htm- Redirected to Y-DNA_tools#YBrowse_-_The_ISOGG_human_Y-chromosome_browser. The original page was extremely short and just some directions. Wondering if we should incorporate those into the page at that section? Adding to Talk page to view the look of it.
Famous DNA Series
The following are underway and need to be completed. Please see Famous DNA:Introduction
www.isogg.org/ancientdna.htmRedirected & Completed
www.isogg.org/famousdna.htmRedirected - Content still being added and improved
www.isogg.org/famoushg.htmRedirected - Content still being added and improved
isogg.org/ffdna.htmRedirected - Content still being added and improved
www.isogg.org/neanderthaldna.htmRedirected & Completed
www.isogg.org/presdna.htmRedirected - Content still being added and improved
Links to all the newsletters can be found off of the main page link below.
www.isogg.org/newsletter/info.htm (A need to preserve the newsletters. Make them PDFs?)Done - see ISOGG Newsletter
The following pages have been redirected. There may still be some tasks left to complete, such as improvement of redirect target page. These should be moved to another section as a stand alone pages needing improvement.
www.isogg.org/dpc.htm (link rot) (Upload as a PDF?)Done and redirected, see DNA Project Communication www.isogg.org/britishcodnasources.htmDone! and redirected File link information is here, File:Britishcodnasources.pdf, actual PDF file is viewable as here, and source file File:Britishcodnasources.xlsx which is still incomplete. It still needs Ireland data. Presentation?
www.isogg.org/help.htmDone! ISOGG Wiki:How can you help ISOGG? leaving as page need improvement
www.isogg.org/pgt.htmRedirected - ToDo, merge content with existing page on Personal genomics. The original content is on Personal genomics talk page.
www.isogg.org/npe.htmDone! and redirected leaving here, still have NPE success stories
www.isogg.org/markersig.htm- Done and redirected - Mutation rates
www.isogg.org/edci.htmlDone and redirected - Admixture analyses Do it yourself section, "Analysis_projects:_Do_it_yourself_.28DIY.29".
www.isogg.org/eochart.htm- Done and redirected - Ethnic origins chart
www.isogg.org/genoresources.htm- Redirected to Genographic Project
www.isogg.org/genotips.htm- Redirected to Genographic Project
www.isogg.org/features.htm- Redirected to Portal:DNA Project Administration
www.isogg.org/atdnaqa.htm- Redirected to Portal:Autosomal DNA
www.isogg.org/uk.htm- Redirected to Britain, United Kingdom and Commonwealth resources
www.isogg.org/phylo.htm- Redirected to Fluxus
www.isogg.org/xjourney1.html- Redirected to Katie and Julie's journey thru the X
www.isogg.org/whysnp.htm- Redirected to Why SNP?
www.isogg.org/lookingforboard.htm- Redirected to Surname DNA projects
www.isogg.org/x.html- Redirected to X-chromosome testing. Checked with Kathy Johnston. The original page is now very out of date and should not be transferred.
Article and content improvements
- Revamp the autosomal DNA statistics page to include number of segments and info on chances of matching at various degrees of relationship
- Update the Y-DNA SNP testing chart. Details of new Y Elite test? New Geno test? Column for YSEQ? Check with User:ChrisR as he was planning a major reorganisation of this page
- BritainsDNA pages need updating to clarify that the test is now an all-in-one Chromo2 Complete and only raw YSNP test is only standalone YDNA test available.
- Add African Ancestry to the mtDNA testing comparison chart
- Convert Portal:DNA_testing into a Newbie Portal
- Update and convert this page into a project admins comparison chart for autosomal DNA testing featuring the companies on the Autosomal DNA testing comparison chart
- Ethnic origins autosomal DNA testing chart This page has been removed from the Wiki main space as it is now very out of date and potentially misleading. Is there a need for this page to be revamped as an autosomal STR comparison chart?
- Finish off the listing of projects at Geographical DNA projects (North and South America still to be done)
- Find more public domain pictures
- Add external links for companies/societies etc on the Abbreviations page where there is no ISOGG Wiki article
- Compile a list of the Oppenheimer Y-DNA and mtDNA haplogroup nicknames.
- Update AncestryDNA page with info re non-availability of Y-DNA amd mtDNA tests
- Countries of Ancestry needs updating (page still refers to Ancestry Finder and screenshots are out of date)
- Some other pages for 23andMe features are probably also out of date
- Update Family Finder page to include information about MyOrigins.
- Provide simple one-sentence definitions for remaining terms in the Genetics Glossary
Consider commissioning articles from authoritative sources where appropriate or create a new article by clicking on the red link below
- Ancestry-informative markers (AIMs) - now started but needs expansion
- Biogeographical ancestry - now started but needs expansion
Choosing a DNA testing companydone
DNA testing for adopteesdone
- TiP - page started but needs more content
- FTDNA GAP
- Genetic distance - stepwise model, infinite alleles model, FTDNA current practice, nulls - page started but needs expanding
Genetic family - alternative terminology - genetic cluster, genetic groupdone
- Human Genome Project
- Journal of Genetic Genealogy
- Living DNA
- Match - What is a match? Terminology - close match, match within genealogical timeframe, etc. Page started but needs work
- MyHeritage - Page created with en.wikipedia.org content probably needs to be shortened and "ISOGG Wikified"
- Neanderthal DNA testing
- Palindromic markers
- Transition (Use Wikipedia article as basis)
- Transversion Use Wikipedia article as basis)
- See also the articles in Category:Needs content
Other articles needed
If something isn't of interest in the wanted articles section, here are some alternatives.
- Start a page with a comprehensive listing of articles on the subject of genetic genealogy with links to online versions wherever possible. Start with the list here
- CRS/rCRS/RSRS - title?
- New page for a list of orphan DNA projects seeking an admin. Link to page on World Families website. Write to FTDNA and ask them to send us their list.
- Articles for all the testing companies in the List of DNA testing companies which currently have external links
- Articles on advanced autosomal DNA techniques
- Detailed article on SNP testing
- Article on citizen science with a list of genetics papers published by or with the help of genetic genealogists
- More introductory articles on the basics of genetic genealogy
- Genealogy resources for more countries
- Encourage project admins to create Wiki articles for their surname, geographical and haplogroup projects
- Other suggestions? Post them on the talk page.
Improve official Wiki documentation. Currently awaiting feedback from a legal adviser on:
- ISOGG Wiki:General disclaimer
- ISOGG Wiki:About
- ISOGG Wiki:Terms of Service (copied from Wikimedia Foundation) - simplified version needed for ISOGG Wiki
Mainly for admins
This section is mainly for admins though anyone is free to contribute ideas or to edit these pages if they wish to get involved.
- Edit notice for a page being created for the first time.
- Notice to the page creator to check style guide? Is this needed?
- New Help Portal needs to be developed
- Project namespace education, use, shortcuts and general guide.
- Edit guide
- Link guide with interwiki link use
- Transclusion guide
- The good, the bad and the ugly. Notes on proper usage and consequences of improper usage or editing.
- Categorization page (A Must!)
- Navigational aids
- Group similar pages together with Portal pages
- Finish all portal pages
- Link with easy navigation
- Improve overall look of wiki
- Create an Editors' Portal to serve as a home for all the guides and links.
- The ISOGG Wiki Style guide needs to be developed to encourage consistency across all Wiki pages
- Not hard and fast
- Friendly suggestions
- Image and media guides
- Upload filename structure (separate) !important!
Projects and user involvement
- Projects page - do we need this? Will the portals not suffice?
- Create an Editor group with extra privileges.
- New 'Welcome message'
- Improve collaboration on the wiki
- Encourage user collaboration via talk pages.
- Extensions to improve talk pages? - We need to get people using the talk pages first.
- 'Upload Notice' on upload page to check Images and File usage and guide.
Project Namespace aka ISOGG Wiki
- Improve and complete all pages, Style guide dependent.